Saturday 11 February 2017

Quick and Easy Watercolour Valentine's Day Card

I couldn't let Valentine's Day pass without sharing a card with you.  This one's really quick and easy to make - it's also a good excuse just to play with some watercolours!

Quick and Easy Watercolour Valentine Card by hazel fisher creations

I used these materials to make this card:
white card blank
red coloured paper
watercolour paper
gummed tape
watercolour paints and brush
heart and arrow digital stamp from this set
white card
inkjet printer
Inktense pencils
Black liner pen
double sided sticky foam pads

I started by making the watercolour background - taping a piece of watercolour paper to a board with the gummed tape around the edge (so that when it dried the paper would be flat, not crinkled). Projects like this are great for using up scraps of paper and I made this card with a small piece in my paper drawer.  It's textured watercolour paper - I think it might have been Bockingford 'Not' rather than the 'Rough' one.

I used different shades of red watercolour paint to make this interesting background. You can play around with your paints - adding wet on dry, wet on wet and dropping water onto the painted areas to create different effects!

Once the paper was completely dry, I cut it to fit my card blank, mounted on some dark red paper and attached to the card with double sided sticky foam pads to add dimension.

I printed the heart and arrow digital stamp onto a sheet of white card and coloured it with my new Inktense pencils (you can read more about the pencils in this blog post) and blended them with water. Once this was dry I cut around the heart and attached to the card again with double sided sticky foam pads.

Finally I added the message 'love you' with black fine liner pen.  If you're not confident with writing the message directly in pen, a good tip is to write lightly in pencil first - then when you're happy with the size and position of the letters you can go over it in pen.


If you've been inspired to make your own version of this card I would love to hear about it! You can leave a comment below, or share your photos on social media with #myhfcmakes and tag me @hazel_fisher_creations on Instagram!

____________________________________________________________________

The digital stamp used on this card was from this set, which I designed from my own pen drawings.  You can find it in my Etsy shop hfcSupplies here.

Quick and Easy Watercolour Valentine Card by hazel fisher creations

No comments:

Post a Comment