Friday 2 October 2015

September Review

The weather has been so good recently it's hard to believe it's Autumn and October already!  Here's a look back at some of the things I did in September...

New Designs...
I had fun coming up with new designs for Halloween printables, and released 3 new products in my shop (scrapbook papers, digital stamps and an invitation design).  Here's a peek at my sketchbook...

Halloween Sketchbook hazelfishercreations
The other new designs I worked on in September are still a secret so I can't show you these yet - sorry!

Spoonflower...
I entered 2 Spoonflower contests - 90s Nostalgia and Ditsy Lizards.  Thank you if you voted for my Ditsy Lizards design - it came 72nd out of 240 entries (with 137 votes). Spoonflower always have such varied themes for their contests which are great for inspiring new designs.  I would have liked to have had a go at their State Fair theme, but unfortunately didn't have time to enter that week.  I have added drawing fair ground rides to my to do list though (which is getting very long!).

When Spoonflower recently had a free swatch day I sent for a sample of my Botanical Sketchbook design.  It's printed on their new Poly Crepe De Chine fabric; a sheer, light weight fabric featuring vibrant colours and a delicate drape.  This sample shows just a small part of my design, which is now available to buy on a variety of fabrics as well as gift wrap and wallpaper from my shop.

Botanical SKetchbook fabric swatch Spoonflower hazelfishercreations

Blog...
I shared a tutorial on how to make a Halloween card with my new printables last week, and I'm preparing more Halloween ideas to go on the blog in the next few weeks.  I'm also preparing a new sewing tutorial, here's a sneak peek...

Rabbits sewing wip hazelfishercreations

Baking...
It was National Cupcake Week (14-20th September), which was the perfect excuse (as if any was really needed!) to bake and eat cupcakes with my sister.  We went for rainbow coloured cake mixture, decorated with butter cream and sweets for a sugar overload.  Generally, I do like to cook / bake healthier things though!

Cupcakes Baking hazelfishercreations

Social Media...
I'm still working on my goal of learning to use social media better.  I'm planning on joining Instagram soon, something I've been thinking about doing for a while.  As I'm more of a visual person I think it might work well for me. Apparently Instagram is the fastest growing social media network, which is encouraging and it was interesting to see BBC Breakfast talking to the co-founder of Instagram this week too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34399089  Do you use Instagram?  Which social media network is your favourite to use?
Before joining Instagram I want to get a few other jobs ticked off my list first, like updating my website which I'm in the process of now.
I've found lots of inspiring articles on Pinterest on using social media, business tips and ideas on how to be more productive (which is particularly useful!).  See my Pinterest board on business, blogging and social media tips here:

Follow Hazel's board Tips - Business, Blogging & Photography on Pinterest.


I'll finish off September's review with some photos I took of the "supermoon" and lunar eclipse.  Since the event is rare, and won't occur again until 2033, I thought I would make the effort to wake up in the early hours of Monday morning (around 3am) to watch it.  We were fortunate to have mostly clear skies so had a good view of the Earth's shadow crossing the moon and the moon turning red/orange...

Supermoon lunar eclipse hazelfishercreationsI was only using a compact digital camera, so didn't get the best photos, although I did manage to get some better shots of the moon the following night...

Full Moon hazelfishercreations

No comments:

Post a Comment